The F- It List by Julie Halpern

The F- It List - Julie Halpern

Is it ironic that I finished reading this during Banned Books Week?  I’m sure the title alone will be enough to raise some eyebrows, but I have to say I really enjoyed this book.

Alex is a pretty typical teenage girl who has just lost her father in a car accident and then finds out her best friend , Becca slept with her boyfriend.  If that isn’t enough for one girl to handle, when school starts again, she is in for another blow.  After not speaking to Becca all summer, she returns to school to find out Becca has cancer and is starting chemotherapy.  Alex was all prepared to forgive Becca on the first day of school and for their friendship to go back to normal, but now, Becca needs Alex in a different way and wants Alex to help her complete a “bucket list” of sorts she has been working on since she was nine.  Becca and Alex dub it the “F-it List.”

This book deals with a lot of heavy emotions, as Alex is dealing with the grief of losing her dad, guilt about not talking to Becca, guilt about being there for her mom, younger brothers, Becca, and now a new boyfriend Leo, who is going through stuff of his own.  Yes, there is some bad words used throughout the book, yes there is sexual situations, however, I felt Alex was portrayed as a pretty real teenager, dealing with very real problems, in a very real way.  Teenagers going through their own heavy problems will definitely identify with Alex and Becca.  Humorous and heartwarming at times, completely heartbreaking at others, but a very enjoyable read!

*I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.